The entries on this page are created with category tags at the bottom of selected articles. This is a collection of stories about individual members of the community an what they did during World War II as told by the Davenport Times-Tribune. Most of the information was provided by family members from letters sent home. A lot of information is missing as these letters were heavily censored in some cases, especially when conflict was involved. Letters from members of the Sea-Bees and Corps of Engineers seem to have more information. The information was also dependent on how often the service person wrote and whether the family was willing to pass information on to be published. It does show how little families knew about the status of their loved ones. Toward the end of the war, more information became available about battles and awards, but those reports may have been distorted by time. There are separate lists for casualties and for prisoners of war.
Pages in category "WWII Veteran"
The following 131 pages are in this category, out of 131 total.
Media in category "WWII Veteran"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- 1941-fb-0054-joe-mann-roger-mahrt-debate-team.jpg 832 × 960; 42 KB
- 1943-carstens-marion-purple-heart-ceremony-barnes-hospital-1600.jpg 1,225 × 900; 532 KB
- 1943-dtt-p0-four-together-16years-1600.jpg 1,334 × 900; 421 KB
- 1944-kirk-0052-keith-carlson-army.jpg 733 × 960; 30 KB
- 1945-rhs-yearbook-seniors-in-service.jpg 2,032 × 3,000; 261 KB
- 2021-05-26-kirk-0048-gus-magnuson-tombstone-1-1600.jpg 1,200 × 900; 1.69 MB
- 2021-05-26-kirk-0051-gus-magnuson-headstone-1600.jpg 1,200 × 900; 1.68 MB
- Karl-ufer-photostat.png 1,282 × 1,595; 215 KB
- News-of-men-and-women-in-uniform.jpg 1,161 × 495; 259 KB